This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and talented senior developer to join this dynamic and expanding online market research company. The company is a leader in its field and has grown rapidly since its launch when it was spun-out of its long-established parent company. It has successfully developed its own ‘best-in-class’ platform for delivering online research and now seeks to take this to another level by further expanding its team of developers.
You will be responsible for the development of new features as well as the maintenance of existing applications over large projects as well as one-off stories. This position is for someone who will be a key member of the team who will be involved in projects from the outset, seeing them through to timely completion and release.
The role is remote, but we require a commitment from applicants to meet at our head office twice a year for 2 consecutive days at a time. With this in mind, we’re only able to accept applications from those based in the UK and who can commit to two meetups per year in Cumbria.
Note that as the COVID-19 pandemic continues all office-based meetups are postponed until it is deemed safe to return.
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails
- Database management and development including SQL and query analysis
- Previous experience as a Senior Developer or ability to demonstrate operating at this level
- Experience developing against and maintaining a high availability, high traffic platform
- Using Git as part of a team, including use of GitHub/GitLab
- Understanding of continuous intergration (for example CircleCI, Travis or Jenkins)
- Proficient in secure coding principles and software best practices
- Ability to take ownership of a project from planning through to delivery
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organisational skills
- Demonstrable experience of working both independently and as part of a small team
- Willingness to suggest new/alternative methods and technologies to the team, and take ownership over them
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in agile software development
Nice to Have
- Experience of using Scout, Rollbar and/or DataDog for monitoring
- Experience of deploying and maintaining infrastructure with Terraform and/or Ansible
- Experience of container orchestration using Docker Swarm or Kubernetes
- Experience of working within a remote team
- Familiarity with core AWS components, e.g. EC2, RDS, S3 and CloudWatch
Perks and Benefits
Remote Working & Meets - While we are a primarily remote team, we optionally meet every month at the company’s Lake District office for a mix of wider team building activities and face-to-face project catch ups. We only require attendance twice annually. We also look out for opportunities to incorporate dev meetups into conferences, such as AWS Summits.
Flexible Hours - We are output-driven. As long as you are not disrupting the downtime of others and are able to be productive you are able to work when it suits you best. There is, of course, coverage for the business but we manage this amongst ourselves.
Compressed Hours - Every member of our team has commitments - and lives - outside of work, so we offer compressed hours, agreed as a schedule with the team, to ensure that everyone can achieve a good work/life balance.
Significant Holiday Allowance - Every member of our team receives a total of 33 days of annual leave each year, including bookable holidays, bank holidays and a birthday day off.
Hardware Budget - We understand individual preferences when it comes to machinery and office setup, so reserve a budget for you to spend on your workstation and/ or remote office setup. This is yours to keep.
Quarterly & Annual Reviews - We place a high value on two-way feedback and ensure that everyone in the team has quarterly one-to-one progress reviews, which are an opportunity to set goals, measure progress and contribute ideas for the betterment of the development team. Annual reviews are in place to aggregate and review pay.
Technologies We Use
- Ruby on Rails
The Interview Process
Our aim is to keep the interview process as painless as possible. Please ask any questions at any stage - this is a two way street.
- Stage 1 - Initial call to find out more about each other.
- Stage 2 - Take away practical test (not online), this won’t take more than a few hours effort.
- Stage 3 - Final Interview (remote), we’ll have a chat through your CV, experience as well as look at your practical submission.
To apply send CV and covering note to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to include any personal websites, LinkedIn or GitHub accounts. This is a permanent, full time position.