One of the most fascinating aspects of research is its omnipresence. The practice of gathering data, analysing it and generating insight be applied in a staggering variety of setting – from science to social studies, business to politics and beyond. As well as its multitude of applications, research can also draw on a range of subject matter to improve and better the practice.
This means there is a lot of inspiration out there for researchers, and also a broad range of ways it can be applied. It is important to remember that research does not exist in a vacuum. It is surrounded by business operations, drawing on ideas that improve insight, process, communications and more. However, it can be easy to forget this – to fall into ‘research blinkers’ that narrow our field of view. These quotes have been collated to remind us of the unique, privileged position market research occupies and provide a taste of fields it can lean on.
If you find a quote you want to share, click on the Twitter icon beside the quote to automatically tweet it.
The Role of Market Research
- “Research is creating new knowledge.” - Neil Armstrong
- “If we knew what were doing it wouldn’t be called research.” - Albert Einstein
- “Research is formalized curiosity, it is poking and prying with a purpose.” - Zora Neale Hurston
- “Advertising people who ignore research are as dangerous as generals who ignore decodes of enemy signals.” - David Ogilvy
- “Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing.” - Wernher von Braun
- “Bad news sells papers. It also sells market research.” - Bryon Sharp
- “Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought.” - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
- “What is research but a blind date with knowledge?” - Will Harvey
- “When research walks on the field, judgment does not walk off.” - Dick Kampe
Generating Insight from Research
- “A moment’s insight is sometimes worth a life’s experience.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
- “There is a great difference between knowing and understanding: you can know a lot about something and not really understand it.” - Charles F. Kettering
- “If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday.” - Pearl Buck
- “The best vision is insight.” – Malcolm Forbes
- “Understanding human needs is half the job of meeting them.” - Adlai E Jr Stevenson
- “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.” - Harper Lee
- “There is nothing so terrible as activity without insight.” - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “The goal is to transform data into information, and information into insight.” - Carly Fiorina
- “In today’s complex and fast-moving world, what we need even more than foresight or hindsight is insight.” - Anonymous
Blending Research and Innovation
- “For good ideas and true innovation, you need human interaction, conflict, argument, debate.” - Margaret Hefferman
- “Innovation needs to be part of your culture. Customers are transforming faster than we are, and if we don’t catch up, we’re in trouble.” - Ian Schafer
- "It's easy to come up with new ideas; the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." - Roger von Oech
- “I believe in innovation and that the way you get innovation is to fund research and learn the basic facts.” - Bill Gates
- "Innovation is the process of turning ideas into manufacturable and marketable form." - Watts Humphrey
- "The enterprise that does not innovate ages and declines. And in a period of rapid change such as the present the decline will be fast." - Peter Drucker
Integrating Voice of Customer Data
- “The customer’s perception is your reality.” - Kate Zabriskie
- “All of your customers are partners in your mission.” - Shep Hyken
- “More than 50% of innovation comes from the voice of the customer.” - Lou Rossi
- “Whoever understands the customer best, wins.” - Mike Gospe
- “When the customer comes first, the customer will last.” - Robert Half
- “Listening is hearing the needs of the customer, understanding those needs and making sure the company recognizes the opportunity they present.” - Frank Eliason
- “Everything starts with the customer.” - June Martin
What are your favourite market research quotes - did they make our list? Leave a comment below to let us know which research & insight quotes you think are best and join the conversation.
Read about our unique approach to online qual and how it helped Swift Research leap ahead of the competition. Or, view our two minute video demonstration to see FlexMR in action.